The Top 10 Internet Security Suites of 2014
Today, protecting your computer from external threats is not just important, it's necessary. You need an antivirus software. Compare our top-rated antivirus software providers below and choose the best antivirus software for your security needs. The rankings below are based on our opinions. We are able to offer you this comparison tool for free thanks to referral fees we may receive from certain companies on this site.
Filter by Security Type:
It is a sad fact, but there are hordes of criminals waiting to steal from us when we go online. This type of crime is attractive to a great many people because it involves potentially high rewards with relatively low risk. We need to take action if we want to stay safe online, and this means at least obtaining some type of trustworthy antivirus software. If we are serious about our safety, we may decide that an internet security suite is our best option.
Most of the providers of antivirus software will offer some type of internet security suite. This is usually a premium product, so it costs more money than a basic antivirus software package. The advantage of choosing the internet security suite is that it provides you with added protection online, and it also comes with additional features such as parental control. In order for us to decide if we need this added protection, it will be necessary for us to consider what exactly is on offer.
Internet Security Suite versus Basic Antivirus Software
The main way that an internet security suite differs from basic antivirus software is in the level of protection offered. Basic antivirus packages are designed to detect viruses and remove any of these that are found from the system. An internet security suite is designed to keep people safe online, so it needs to do much more than just detect and remove viruses. It needs to be able to deal with lots of different threats such as:
- Email attacks
- Phishing attacks
- Child safety online
Simply put, antivirus software is only designed to protect us from computer viruses, but an internet security suite protects us from a much wider range of threats. It is important to keep in mind that there is no software that can offer us 100% protection against threats, but the internet security suite will greatly reduce the risks we face when we go online.
Antivirus or Antimalware
Malware refers to all types of malicious software. A computer virus is just one type of malware, and there are many other types including:
- A Trojan is a type of program that initially appears to provide a desirable function, but the real goal of this malware is to steal information or cause harm to the system.
- Spyware is designed to track your movements online.
- Adware is created to display unwanted advertisements on your computer. This type of malicious software can be annoying, and it can also cause problems on your system.
- Keyloggers refers to a particularly nasty form of malware that is designed to record what you type on your keyboard. This means that criminals can steal your passwords and gain access to other sensitive information.
An Internet security suite is created to deal with all these different types of malware and not just viruses.
Internet Security Suite Features
The most common features that you are likely to find with an internet security suite would include:
- All the features of a basic antivirus software package
- Increased anti-malware protection
- Email protection/ email scanner
- Parental controls
- Protection from spam
- IP block list – this allows you to completely block certain domains.
- Detection of keylogging
- Instant messaging and chat protection
- Protection while using social media such as Facebook
- Detection of Trojans
There are also many other features available depending on the brand of internet security suite. There is a great deal of competition between the different providers of antivirus software, so they are always trying to make their packages more enticing. It is also necessary to add new features in response to new threats online.